A Pure Dinner

by Gena on June 26, 2009

Hey guys!

Thanks for such an awesome response to Beam Green! I would love to have you NYC gals as guests, so please keep getting in touch if you’re interested!

I’m taking a break from a night of reading to recap my very fun dinner last night with Melissa and Liz — aka, the blogcelebrity Veggiegirl! Liz and I have corresponded and spoken before, but this was my first time meeting her in person, and it was great fun! She’s witty, sharp, sweet, and passionate about all things raw and vegan. The three of us went to Pure Food and Wine, where I got a simple dinner: a build-your-own salad with avocado and guacamole. (I know, I know, I am the world’s most boring woman. But I was in the mood!):

avo-salad

Variety came with the dessert selections, which ranged from Melissa’s gorgeous passion fruit tart:

passion-fruit

To the complimentary strawberry shortcake (yum) for the table!

strawberry-shortcake

Here’s the three of us ladies outside (Me, Mel, and Liz):

genamelliz

Afterwards, Melissa and I went to 71 Irving for some tea and overdue girl talk. It was a really fun night, and a much needed interruption in a busy week.

I hope you’re all having wonderful Fridays. I’ll be back tomorrow with some recipe action, so stay tuned!

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that Jacques Pepin blurbed one of the books I’m working on today. I don’t usually edit food/nutrition books — in fact, this is my only one — and I felt a little starstruck!

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) June 26, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Gena,
What a fun girls get-together. I love that Liz – she is so kind, not to mention hilarious. Your dinner salad looked perfect to me, and don’t even get me started on those desserts!

Glad you got in some girl time with Melissa, and congrats on the book blurb.

Hope you have a good weekend. I’m looking forward to some recipe action…as always. :)

Gena June 27, 2009 at 11:58 am

She is totally hilarious! And wonderful :)

Erin June 26, 2009 at 8:17 pm

I love your simple dinner. And how much avocado you eat! It’s my favorite too. It looks like it was a wonderful night and I can’t wait for more recipes!

Katherine June 26, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Sounds like a great evening. I have GOT to check that place out considering how much you all talk about it! Maybe dinner date sometime this summer? :)

Have a great weekend!

Maria June 26, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Sounds like it was a blast! You girls looks so very cute together :). Oh my goodness that dessert looks amaaazing! Hope you have a great weekend, Gena!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) June 26, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Uh, so THAT’s what the desserts look like?! Ok, sold. Hot damn. The boyf chose Adelina for our date Monday (what can I say, Italian’s his favorite and he’s predictable) but if he likes it then Pure is next on the list! And if not, boo on him, I’ll go with you.

Gena June 27, 2009 at 11:58 am

Haha! I think we’d survive if we were forced to sup alone together, dear ;-)

VeggieGirl June 26, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Love you girls (and avocado, Pure Food & Wine, etcetera, haha). Period :-D

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) June 26, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Omigosh, I so want to come to NY and have girl talk and tea with you!!! I could care less about the food and desserts for once, and that is BEAUTIFUL.

Gliding Calm June 26, 2009 at 10:23 pm

what a fun dinner!! everything looks gorgeous!! so glad you met my lovely Veggie Girl! girl talk is THE BEST. and tea time! :)

Gena June 27, 2009 at 11:59 am

I could not agree more!

Tasha June 26, 2009 at 11:07 pm

The desserts look heavenly!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) June 27, 2009 at 4:29 am

Fun! A little “Girl Time” is the best!

Kim June 27, 2009 at 5:09 am

I don’t think you’re boring. I often order the same thing from the same restaurant. Hey, if it’s not broken, why fix it? :)

Emily @ The Experimentarian June 27, 2009 at 5:26 am

That strawberry shortcake looks to die for! How yummy :)

Kathleen June 27, 2009 at 5:34 am

Gena!
I think we were there on the same night!! I was on the back patio Thursday night with some friends. Too funny. I as well ordered a salad from next door. It’s just not a meal without the avo:)
Enjoy your weekend.

Gena June 27, 2009 at 11:59 am

Amazing! I wish I’d seen you! Well, we have our own dinner to look forward to :)

Lauren June 27, 2009 at 5:40 am

Sounds like a fun girls night! :) I am going to Pure Tonight, I am thinking about those tortillas I love! :) Maybe a salad as well! Have a nice weekend, don’t work to hard!!

A June 27, 2009 at 5:41 am

Hi Gena!

I have a ‘going raw’ question. Is it possible to initially gain weight on a raw food diet? I just ‘went raw’ about two days ago and have gained 1.5 pounds but am not sure if it’s water retention / too much avocado (.33 a fruit) and raw almond butter & almond milk or what?

Thanks!
A

Gena June 27, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Hi A,

It’s impossible for me to judge without knowing what you ate, what your history is, etc. It’s definitely possible, but I’d have to hear about what you ate and what you were eating before. Sorry not to be of more help — please email me about a possible consultation if you have detailed questions.

G/

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) June 27, 2009 at 6:34 am

Meeting blogstresses in person after following blogs for so long is so sweet. There have been a few run-ins and it’s especially funny when I am with my best friend Vanessa (she was in one of my recent videos last week). We hang out a lot together and people are always a little surprised to see us both together. The women I have met (yes- all women so far) that read my blog and vice versa have been amazing. It is fabulous to connect with people that share a passion that is so vital to our lives. I hope to be in New York in a couple weeks (for Vanessa’s US book launch)- will be sure to let you know if I make that happen.

Gena June 27, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Please do, Meghan! That would be so fun.

Emily June 27, 2009 at 6:54 am

Gena,

Happy Weekend!

Such great fun you all had. Wowser what an amazing dessert selection. When I get back east I will definately have to head to Pure!

With Love,

Emily

Shelby June 27, 2009 at 6:54 am

Horray for meeting Liz! She is the best! =)

Dori June 27, 2009 at 7:01 am

Those desserts! I really need to go there, I’ve been wanting to!

gina (fitnessista) June 27, 2009 at 7:11 am

sounds like such a fun night! hooray for dinner with two truly amazing girls and i’m dying for some more pure food dessert in my life.
congrats on the book blurb- that’s AWESOME
have a wonderful weekend <3

Cecilia June 27, 2009 at 8:48 am

OMG … LOVE THE MEET UP!!

Just want you to know that I’ve increased my raw food intake recently and honestly, I feel so so good inside out AND happy.

Thank you so much for introducing me to this wonderful world of raw eats – I owe you one Gena!!

Gena June 27, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Cecilia, that makes me SO happy.

Lynn June 27, 2009 at 9:52 am

What a fabulous girls time!!!!

I wish there were raw places to eat here like NY!!!!

Katharina June 27, 2009 at 11:51 am

That dinner sounds so exciting! And the desserts look mmm mm good. I just remembered that when I was learning how to spell someone told me to remember how to spell dessert. “Two s’s not one because who wants just one scoop of ice cream?” :)

Leng June 30, 2009 at 9:58 am

Ah looks like you & Liz had lots of fun. Love blogger meet ups.

Erin June 30, 2009 at 11:53 am

Awwh!
NY is definitely the place to meet other bloggers!
That place sounds fabulous. I love your salad. :) And I LOVE Jacques Peppin. Oh la la!

ttfn300 July 1, 2009 at 5:40 pm

what a great meetup :) that dessert looks so exciting!

ふいぁご August 24, 2013 at 8:48 am

What exactly is it? They nearly all reported they had not determined if Tom and Becky were on panel the ferryboat on the homeward trip; it was dark; nobody considered inquiring in case any 1 was missing.