After School Snack: Celery Sticks with Curried Sunflower Spread and Raisins

by Gena on February 4, 2013

PicMonkey Collage

Many of us have warm, fuzzy memories of coming home from school each day to an afternoon snack. PB & J, Oreos and milk, Ritz crackers, fruit—these are a few of the after school snacks I remember seeing on television as a kid. Though my memories of those popular snacks remain, I must confess that I’ve no memory whatsoever of what I actually ate when I came home from school. Fortunately, I’m a student once again, and will likely be one for a good many years hence. So I’ve got a second chance at after school snacks.

These crunchy, sweet, and salty celery sticks stuffed with curried sunflower seed spread are a wonderful way to end a school day (or any day). I love the contrast of warming curry with cool, refreshing celery. And they evoke childhood memories of ants on a log in a delightfully creative way.

Celery Sticks with Curried Sunflower Spread and Raisins

5 sticks celery, cut in half
2 cups sunflower seeds, soaked overnight and drained
2 tsp curry powder
1 small clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp coconut aminos or 1 1/2 tbsp Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
1 pitted date, chopped
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup water
25 (or so) raisins

1. Add sunflower seeds to a food processor fitted with the S blade and pulse to combine. Add the curry, garlic, aminos, and the date, and pulse again.

2. With the motor running, drizzle the water into the food processor in a thin stream. Stop occasionally to scrape the bowl down. Continue processing till the nut spread is very smooth.

3. Spread some of the curry/sunflower mixture into the celery sticks and dot with a few raisins each. Munch.

So cute and tasty!

Next time you find yourself reaching for some ho-hum trail mix, give this snack a try. You can also serve these delicious celery sticks as an appetizer plate at a party. Feel free to add more curry for extra spice, or some turmeric for some anti-inflammatory power!

Hope the week is already off to a good start for you all. I’m so happy you enjoyed yesterday’s recipe round up.

Ali February 4, 2013 at 9:41 pm

SUCH a cute idea! I love the combo of cool and warming too. I think that My Love would really enjoy coming home from work to a plate of theses :)

Gena February 5, 2013 at 9:34 am

Thanks Ali! I hope you’ve been well :)

Ali February 5, 2013 at 9:35 am

Very well! I hope that all is well in your world too <3

Elisabeth February 4, 2013 at 10:06 pm

This is a great idea! It’s perfect for me because, as a student, I need quick and easy snacks/lunches that are also portable, delicious, and nutritious – just like this one. Your curried sunflower spread also sounds like it would be good with roasted sweet potato batons or bell pepper slices; I’m definitely trying this!

FoodFeud February 4, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Perfect! Damned if I didn’t soak sunflower seeds today to make raw tuna pate but didn’t really have the rest of the ingredients on hand. I’ll pick up some dates and raisins tomorrow but everything else I’ve got! Great timing; sounds delicious.

Stephi February 5, 2013 at 6:33 am

That’s a cool idea for a snack. What does soaking the seeds overnight do?

Gena February 5, 2013 at 9:34 am

Stephi,

Soaking removes some of the enzyme inhibitors and softens them for processing. I don’t always soak, but it does improve digestibility.

G

Stephi February 5, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Oh ok, thanks for letting me know :)

Rose February 5, 2013 at 7:10 am

Um ADORABLE. I love nostalgic snacks :) Thanks Gena!

Karen February 5, 2013 at 8:09 am

What a fun variation on my typical hummus + carrot stick snacks…love the simplicity and accessibility of this sesame spread. I’m drawn to anything curried during these cold, dark winter months – the spicier the better!

Tanya @ Playful and Hungry February 5, 2013 at 8:29 am

Yummy! That looks like a healthy and fun snack!

Allison February 5, 2013 at 9:26 am

Sounds yummy and shared with our garden page too! Would love to know more about the aminos though. What do they do and are they necessary? Please advise. They’re the only item missing from our kitchen. Thanks!

Gena February 5, 2013 at 9:33 am

Allison,

You can also use low sodium tamari or soy sauce! Liquid aminos are similar.

G

Allison February 6, 2013 at 8:41 am

Thank you! (See further comment below…) <3

Lauren February 5, 2013 at 9:33 am

My daughter loves celery, raisins and curry flavor! I’m
Making these for us today! ;)

jodye @ chocolate and chou fleur February 5, 2013 at 11:55 am

My boyfriend and I still love bugs on a log, and this looks like a great savory version! I’ll definitely be using the curried sunflower spread as a salad topper, too!

Heather McClees February 5, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I LOVE Sunbutter!! I’ve tried to make my own but had no luck. This looks delicious Gena! Great recipe:) Thanks for the inspiration!

the delicate place February 5, 2013 at 2:50 pm

aww i used to love getting ants on a log growing up! i don’t eat peanut butter anymore because i don’t crave it with so many delish nut/seed butter options these days. i am currently loving a smokey-sweet pumpkin seed butter! i never thought about adding curry but i think i’d prob love this since anything savory with a hint of sweet is my preferred taste test! hope the semester is off to a good start!

Danni February 5, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Thanks so much for the recipe, Gena;) I’m glad you mentioned turmeric can be a substitute for the curry. That seed butter is packed full of anotioxidant and nutrient goodness! I can’t wait to give this one a try…

Christine (The Raw Project) February 5, 2013 at 10:07 pm

What a fun idea, great presentation and I think my nieces would love this too!

Carol February 6, 2013 at 5:57 am

This looks delicious. I have a vivid memory from my youth, of celery sticks filled with peanut butter. Ironically on the same day that I am reading your post, I also see this snack in BonApetit Magazine online (celery sticks w/ almond butter & smoked paprika);

Quick & delcious!

Allison February 6, 2013 at 8:36 am

I’m with you, Carol! Thank you! It’s now no wonder why I don’t care for the Kale Salad a local health food market makes, because they use the Bragg’s Amino Acids and I think it’s way too salty! I think I can do without, actually. Here’s more discussion info I found, as well… <3 http://paleohacks.com/questions/114583/what-exactly-is-braggs-liquid-aminos-honestly#axzz2K7bwzAkH

Liz March 3, 2013 at 7:21 pm

So. Much. YUM. Loved this! :)