Crunchy Red Cabbage and Green Apple Sesame Slaw

by Gena on November 12, 2012

cabbage apple sesame slaw Hello friends!

Sorry to be a little quiet in the last few days; I had a big genetics exam this morning, an enormous lab report due today, and a bunch of other studying that got in the way of my posting the delicious red cabbage and green apple sesame slaw you’re about to see. I hope you all had nice weekends; D.C. is unseasonably balmy and fair today!

Certain recipes are just no brainers–we take a peek at the ingredients and think “of course I’ll love that.” For me, most recipes that include

• raw kale and/or cabbage
  • autumn squash
  • lentils
  • carrots
  • beets
  • tahini
  • quinoa
  • mulberries or goji berries
  • chocolate
  • chickpeas
  • hempseeds
  • nutritional yeast
  • apples
  • bananas

…or a combination of any of those things is likely to win me over quickly. So it came as little surprise to me that this simple and colorful slaw, which features tart granny smith apple and crunchy red cabbage, was an instant hit.

Cabbage is a perennial favorite of mine: it’s inexpensive, easy to find locally, and full of antioxidants and glucosinolates that may aid in cancer prevention. I do steam or cook or ferment it on occasion, but my favorite way to enjoy cabbage is raw, shredded thin, and crispy. When it comes together with tart apples, a sweet, salty sesame tahini dressing, and a lot of nutrient dense hemp seeds, the result is quick and easy magic.

Crunchy Red Cabbage and Green Apple Sesame Salad (vegan, raw, gluten free, soy free)

Serves 2-3

For the salad:

3 cups thinly shredded red cabbage
1 large granny smith apple, shredded
2 tbsp hemp seeds

For the dressing:

1/4 cup tahini
3 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons agave nectar or maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 – 1/2 tsp sea salt (to taste)
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1. Whisk dressing ingredients together and set aside.

2. Dress the shredded vegetables and hemp seeds with dressing; you can use as much as you like, but make sure you coat everything well! (I think I used about a half cup.) Serve.

The salad is simple and absolutely delicious in its own right, but to make it more complete as a meal, you can add chickpeas!

I hope you all enjoy this quick, easy, dish.

Emerging from a marathon weekend of studying always feels a bit like waking up after a dream (a not particularly nice dream). I’m happy that you all were so excited about treats and tonics from Gouter on Friday, and look forward to sharing a couple of tasty recipes this week—especially a new and improved recipe for vegan Thanksgiving stuffing. Till tomorrow!

Ashley November 12, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Just what I’ve been needing! This sounds so crunchy and refreshing. Thanks, G!

Lisa @ The Raw Serenity November 12, 2012 at 8:38 pm

This sounds awesome and such a unique recipe to take to a BBQ or a gathering.
I’ll be making this one for sure!
I can’t get hemp seeds in my local area but I’m sure it will taste just as good!

Ashley November 12, 2012 at 8:41 pm

This looks so delicious! And perfect too, I was trying to think of something to do with the half of a head of cabbage in the fridge!

Lia November 12, 2012 at 8:43 pm

This is great! I’m always looking for more ways get enjoy raw veggies in the winter time and I love me a good slaw! I also happen to have a bunch of cabbage waiting to be consumed in more than a soup. May your academics treat you well and vice versa!

Christa @ Edible Balance November 12, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I can’t believe you have just made me crave red cabbage! This salad looks so refreshing and delicious. All I’ve wanted these days is warm comfort food in the midst of our winter weather, but I’m gonna need to make this salad now!

My Dog-Eared Pages November 12, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Look forward to your stuffing recipe! Love your blog!! ; )

Susan November 12, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Beautiful salad! I have been craving cabbage! Will try this for sure.

janet @ the taste space November 12, 2012 at 10:43 pm

My favorite food list looks very similar to yours… don’t forget balsamic vinegar! :-) I made a fabulous warm cabbage and apple salad with balsamic and rosemary that I will share later this week. Great minds think alike. One can never have too many cabbage recipes. I sometimes wonder if I am growing cabbages because they never seem to disappear! :-)

Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans November 12, 2012 at 11:07 pm

This slaw looks gorgeous! So simple but so delicious!

Nicole November 12, 2012 at 11:44 pm

What a great recipe! My husband LOVES slaw, and I am always looking for new ways of doing it – sans veganaise, please! – and this one looks delicious. Thanks missy!

Elizabeth November 13, 2012 at 7:07 am

One of the things I love about so many of your recipes is the marriage of sweet and savory – something I also adore. Hope to try a variation on this very soon.

Emma November 13, 2012 at 8:40 am

This is so me! I’m a huge fan of salads with raw cabbage. I’ve been enjoying a delicious one of Ricki’s recently http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2010/07/11/salad-days-cabbage-or-broccoli-delight/ but I’m also a sucker for a tahini dressing so this one will be seen in my kitchen very shortly :) Thanks for sharing.

Skye November 13, 2012 at 11:17 am

Yum! Does this keep or do you have to eat it right away because of the cut apple?

Eileen November 13, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Hooray for cabbage and apples! I like to make a slaw like this with a lemon juice dressing and toasted sesame seeds. This version sounds fantastic as well!

Christine (The Raw Project) November 14, 2012 at 12:34 am

This looks wonderful, I love that it’s tahini based – yum! Thanks!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed November 14, 2012 at 4:11 am

I too adore cabbage. I love the look of this! The apple would be so lovely in flavour with the other ingredients. YUM.
Heidi xo

Jade November 15, 2012 at 11:41 pm

You never can have too many cabbage salad recipes! I have several and love them all (and make them all); I’ll be adding this one to the collection :)

Marianne November 17, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I love slaw, but have never made my own. This looks like a great recipe to start with – plus it features my absolute favourite apple!

Anonymous December 4, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I made this for dinner tonight. I love it

Fiona December 6, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Enjoyed this for lunch today! The sesame taste was strong from the oil, which I rather liked. I would only use one teaspoon sweetener next time as it was a bit too sweet for me. I liked this slaw but I do prefer some of the other slaw recipes you’ve posted over this one.

melissa @ my whole food life November 28, 2013 at 11:26 am

This looks so fresh and delicious! Pinning now!