My Favorite Green Smoothie with Avocado

by Gena on June 27, 2013

50 shades All images courtesy of James Ransom for Food52

I feel as though I’m starting to inadvertently assemble a “my favorites” list–first there was my favorite quinoa confetti salad, and now I’m sharing my (current) favorite smoothie. These days, I’m relishing avocado in my smoothies–the fluffy, creamy texture is hard to beat!

9143104251_463efb24a4_z

To get the recipe for this beautifully green, silky smooth beverage, check out my latest New Veganism column at Food52. While you’re at it, you’ll get my favorite formula for building a perfect green smoothie–a simple checklist that guarantees smoothie success!!

9143104271_660996c0d5_z 9145330938_163014d28c_z

Jean June 27, 2013 at 3:59 pm

This looks yummy but serves 4??? I think it serves 1 :)

Gena June 27, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Ah! Glad you caught that. It’s edited — the serving size is definitely 1 :)

Molly June 27, 2013 at 4:06 pm

This looks so delicious, and perfect for a hot and humid summer morning when I can’t bear to eat a bowl of oatmeal. However, I haven’t yet been able to hop on the avocado smoothie train–it just seems so sad to blend such a perfect fruit and mask its lovely flavor!

Abby June 27, 2013 at 6:46 pm

My tastes switch with the weather too, but when it gets hot I still switch from warm oats to overnight oats. Just add almond milk (or milk of choice) to the oats the night before, throw it in the fridge and add your mix-ins in the morning!

Suzanne June 27, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Perfect timing Gena! I froze some ripe avocados yesterday!!

Julie June 27, 2013 at 4:30 pm

May I have the English version recipe?? Thank you in advance!

Gena June 29, 2013 at 7:21 am

Confused — this is in English?

Christine (The Raw Project) June 27, 2013 at 5:24 pm

This looks wonderful, perfect for the triple digit heat here!

Olena@iFOODreal June 27, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Looks divine! I would add some chia seeds for a protein punch. I do that with all my smoothies now. Totally agree about frozen bananas -always buy 3 bunches like a mad zookeeper and freeze in chunks.

Jenni June 27, 2013 at 11:30 pm

I do the same thing with bananas. There would be a big, gaping hole in my freezer without my large baggie of frozen banana chunks. Your smoothie has such a beautiful color! I wish all green smoothies looked this gorgeous. Unfortunately, berries always turn a green smoothie kind of muddy. Mango for the win!

Karen June 28, 2013 at 7:06 am

I always make my green smoothies with avocado! The addition of avocado was the game changer for me in terms of loving vs. liking green smoothies. The consistency is just so satisfying. In fact, my staple smoothie is the same as yours – a short list of ingredients, with frozen banana essential. I usually skip the additional fruit b/c my preference would be berries and those dilute the green color – the more vibrant the hue the more delicious the experience! Avocado is probably in my top 5 favorite foods of all time, certainly the most frequently eaten foods! Sometimes I add vanilla flavored protein (brown rice) protein powder – depending on how much satiation I need from this guy. :)

Happy weekend, Gena.

Karen June 28, 2013 at 7:22 am

p.s. On a completely different note, given your interest in all things gastronomy, thought you might enjoy this latest book by one of my favorite authors, Mary Roach – I just finished it and loved it!

Gena June 29, 2013 at 7:19 am

Isn’t it great? I loved it, too–thanks for mentioning. Happy weekend.

Sophie June 28, 2013 at 9:21 am

I LOVE avocados in a smoothie. It makes all the difference. It is great too if I need to use up an avocado yet don’t fancy eating it in a salad (crazy thing I know!)

Elisabeth June 28, 2013 at 9:27 am

Sometimes I find green smoothies to be too sweet. However, I have noticed that the addition of avocado tempers some of the sweetness while also adding a nice, thick and creamy texture. Thanks for sharing your go-to recipe! I’ll definitely give it a try.

Christa @ Edible Balance June 28, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I ADORE avocado in smoothies! Hmmm, I adore anything to do with avocados period though ;) I’m not a fan of smoothies that are too sweet, I don’t typically add very much fruit, mostly greens, cucumber, etc, so they work perfectly in place of bananas. Gorgeous photos Gena!

Nabeela June 28, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Fifty shades of Green..haha!! What a delightful funny name, and even better smoothie ;)

Emily June 28, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Um…could you make a favorites list? I actually think this would be pretty awesome-maybe a new feature on your site, or just a post linking to your favorites! I think it would be fun for your current readers to see and might be useful to direct new readers to. (also I have been on a serious avocado kick lately and although I don’t make smoothies anymore, have been loving adding avocado to my mock chipotle salads and making all kinds of chocomoles. Just the other day I went to get boba and got an avocado shake-avocado, ice cream, ice and condensed milk, I think-I’ll bet you could make a delicious version with some combination of coconut milk ice cream/almond milk/avocado-maybe worth trying?) Thanks Gena!

Gena June 29, 2013 at 7:18 am

Hahaha I should! I will. It’s a good idea :)

hillary June 28, 2013 at 5:32 pm

oh how i love avocados in smoothies! they freeze nicely too, so like with bananas, when i have a few that are perfectly ripe i cut them up into quarters and freeze them. makes for a very pudding-like smoothie!

Gena June 29, 2013 at 7:22 am

Oh yum — I’ll have to freeze some.

Monica June 29, 2013 at 12:51 am

I haven’t tried avocado in smoothies as I don’t like mine that thick. My fave smoothie is a handful of spinach, almond milk, juice of 1 lime, dash of vanilla extract, 1 packet stevia,frozen mango, amazing greens energy super greens boost and vega sport protein powder and some water or coconut water.

Vivian Rowe June 29, 2013 at 1:06 am

Wow! I love avocado as ingredient of green smoothies. It’s delicious, healthy and refreshing. I’m going to make this on the weekend. Thanks for sharing! :-)

Lauren L. @ Newest Obsession June 29, 2013 at 7:42 am

I just made this for breakfast before a long run! I used 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach instead of fresh. It is so creamy and smooth! I had to eat it with a spoon.

Ttrockwood June 30, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Awesome recipe! The avocado is such a great way to make a smoothie more satisfying.
Not related, but i just read in nytimes about the Sweetgreen founders and one is opening in nyc july 15th! I’m excited to go since i have read often how you love the D.C. Location

Gena July 2, 2013 at 7:27 am

I know!!! I’m so so so excited about their expansion.

Caleb July 1, 2013 at 11:47 am

I actually LOVE making smoothies with avocado. I don’t do it near enough, though.

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat July 2, 2013 at 9:52 am

I’ve been making an avocado mango banana smoothie lately that might as well be called a pudding. Dessert for breakfast? Yes! It is SO creamy and delicious. Avocado is definitely the key!

Louise @ best dining in aruba July 3, 2013 at 2:49 am

Smoothie is part of my morning routine and I’m so glad to read this smoothie recipe. Avocado makes every smoothie extra creamy and delicious. And HEALTHY!

Jill July 3, 2013 at 10:36 am

Hi, Lovely photos Gena. Does this serve 4 though as the site says?

Also, I know you are very busy…but wondering if you can email me? I’m wondering if you can give top recommendations for me of people you know that can guide me through healing my body with food, life, spirit, daily routine, physical, and life coaching. I’m truly at rock bottom in every which way and my body is literally breaking down on me…
Thank you Gena. Appreciated. I need someone to guide me in all facets and soften my anxious mind.

Derick July 5, 2013 at 10:32 am

That’s got my licking my lips, i heard lemon goes well with it too? maybe give that a try.
Keep it Up.
Derick.

FoamRollers August 13, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I love me a good avocado smoothie – it’s amazing how creamy a little bit of avocado can make the entire smoothie.

Thanks for sharing
Paul

read someones text messages without phone December 18, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Thans for sharing yiur info. I really appreciate your efforts and I aam waiting for your next write ups thanks once again.

groene smoothies January 9, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I really like avocade. Not because of its taste but because its really healthy. Loved it!