Omega Rich Broccoli Hemp Slaw with Tangy Mustard Dressing

by Gena on June 11, 2012

One of the biggest fears that most people encounter as they adopt a new way of eating (be it veganism or something else) is that their family members will be unsupportive, derogatory, or outwardly critical. Though I eat very differently from the rest of my family, I’ve also been blessed overall with their respect, understanding, and enthusiasm for my lifestyle. This was never more evident than on Friday evening, when I went over to my Aunt and Uncle’s home for dinner, only to be greeted by some of my own recipes! My aunt had whipped up some of my zucchini pasta with roasted butternut squash creamy garlic sauce, along with my cauliflower and broccoli salad with creamy Asian dressing. I was tremendously flattered and touched, especially since my aunt is famous within our family for being a marvelous cook.

I will admit: I was a little nervous about whether or not my family would enjoy the recipes! But they did, along with the quinoa dish I brought over. What a nice compliment. My aunt was also very gracious with leftovers, and gave me some undressed, leftover broccoli, cauliflower, and red pepper. Yesterday, I set about putting this to use. I decided to use a dressing similar to the one I used on my raw brussels sprout slaw salad, and I also thought that hemp seeds would be a nice addition for extra protein and Omega-3 fatty acids. Given that I also used sacha inchi oil in the dressing, this little slaw is an Omega-3 party–and it’s also incredibly tasty.

I’ve been eating this slaw straight out of the bowl in which I mixed it, but it’s also a fabulous raw side dish, and I think it would be fun to stuff this, along with some lentils or chickpeas, into butter lettuce cups for a quick and easy high raw lunch.

Omega Rich Broccoli Hemp Slaw with Tangy Mustard Dressing (raw, vegan, GF)

Serves 3-4

3 heaping cups broccoli florets
3 heaping cups cauliflower florets
1 small or 1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup hempseeds
2 tsp Bragg’s or Tamari
1 1/2 T sacha inchi oil (or flax oil, hemp oil, olive oil, or avocado oil)
1 1/2 T apple cider vinegar
1 T maple syrup
1 T stoneground mustard
1/2 tsp curry powder

1. Place the broccoli and cauliflower in a food processor and roughly process. Alternately, chop into small pieces with a big knife.

2. Transfer to a bowl and add chopped bell pepper, hemp seeds, and raisins.

3. Whisk together the ACV, tamari, maple syrup, mustard, curry, and oil. Pour over salad and serve. Flavors will marry and the salad will improve quite a bit after a day or so in the fridge.

Yum!

If you’re new to the vegan lifestyle and you’re feeling trepidatious about talking about your food choices, keep in mind that cooking is often far better than talking! Prepare a simple, tasty salad or side dish like this one. Not only will you show off the beautiful simplicity of plant foods, but you’ll also demystify the word “vegan” a little, and show your loved ones that choosing a plant-based diet doesn’t mean sacrificing pleasure or taste. And you never know–at some point, they may actually surprise and delight you by preparing your own food even better than you do :)

Thanks, Aunt Kate!

If you’re looking for a little more confidence-building when it comes to talking about your food choices, I recommend these posts:

Confidence Building 101
Power of Choice
Calling Ahead
Talking About Your Food Choices
“Just One Bite”

Have a great Monday!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 11, 2012 at 12:39 pm

ooh that mustard dressing sounds so delicious! and the salad is beautiful! so many wonderful colors! thanks for sharing!

Averie @ Averie Cooks June 11, 2012 at 12:51 pm

The Tangy Mustard Dressing with ACV sounds so delish. Pretty salad, pretty bowl, summery & great-looking!

bitt June 11, 2012 at 2:02 pm

wow what nice relatives to make your kind of food. Can’t wait for the day that happens to me. Question: does Sacha inchi oil taste good? I got some of the nuts and they taste terrible.

janet @ the taste space June 11, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Hahaha, I love it! I also usually steal vegan eats and veggie leftovers after family gathering. I wouldnt want them to go to waste, so I take them to-go! There tend to be a lot of the precut veggies at recent gatherings, so my last foray with 2 cups of broccoli and cauliflower had me making a similar salad as yours. I had sunflowers seeds, currants, lime, cilantro and dulse. Super yum. Your version looks great, too!

Nada (One Arab Vegan) June 11, 2012 at 2:21 pm

That is so sweet that they made some of your own recipes! As frustrating as criticisms about my diet and lifestyle choices can be, I always remind myself just how wonderful my friends and family have been thus far. An air steward (who is a friend of my dad’s) on my flight home the other day went to extreme lengths to provide me with decent vegan fare, all because he’d heard my dad say I was vegan before – I was so touched!

Lisa @ The Raw Serenity June 11, 2012 at 2:48 pm

That was so lovely of your aunt and uncle!
My family now support me now that they have seen the benefits of my mood, skin and energy plus its always a good sign when they ask to send over recipes to made for them previously :)
This salad looks divine!

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See June 11, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I love how shredding broccoli helps it to take on a whole new dynamic. I feel like a lot of people get caught up in thinking that steamed broccoli is the only way to eat it. But no siree! Slaw all the way :)

jill June 11, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I’m just amazed by how kind your family is! When I told my father and his wife that I was becoming a vegetarian, I was told that I could eat around the meat, and that my stepmother had had a “vegetarian phase” when she was younger too (this was back in the 80′s). My “phase” just entered year 26! I wouldn’t eat meat as a young child either,, unfortunately it was treated as a joke my by my mother and the rest of the family. I was considered picky and difficult. I’ve cooked for myself for a very long time.

I’m always glad to read these accounts of others having it easier. And this recipe seems nice too :) I have a fresh batch of your Lemon Pepper Brazil Nut cheese in my fridge

Nikki @ Fresh Young Coconut June 11, 2012 at 7:05 pm

That was very sweet of your aunt to make your recipes! What a great surprise! I recently turned some of my non-veg family members onto quinoa and it makes me so happy every time they talk about eating it. Baby steps are awesome.

Also, the slaw looks fantastic. I love mustard dressings. Perfect for summer.

Ali June 11, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I LOVE that your aunt made your own food for you. What a cool lady! Seriously, when is the Choosing Raw cook book going to be published?

Eselpee June 11, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Where did you find sacha inchi oil? It has a good omega 3:6 ratio….

Christine (The Raw Project) June 11, 2012 at 11:56 pm

That is so awesome about your aunt, how sweet! My family has become more accepting over time and try to accommodate my diet at events too. My sister has been having a blast trying vegan recipes, so fun.

This slaw recipe looks wonderful, right up my alley!

Hannah June 12, 2012 at 5:37 am

Ooh, this is close to what I’ve been making lately! Except without the fancypants oil because this is Canberra, and with miso instead of mustard and curry powder, and without raisins, and…. okay, no. I’m currently eating raw broccoli and cauliflower with ACV, miso, nooch, chilli, and hemp seeds, so they’re not really alike at all. But I like to pretend they are.

Also, I absolutely love it that my mum makes many of my raw vegan date-nut bites all the time for her patchwork, reading group, and Jane Austen Club groups. It makes my soul fly. So I cheered inside when I read about your family cooking your recipes for you :)

JoLynn-dreaminitvegan June 12, 2012 at 10:30 am

Broccoli slaw is a favorite at our house but I like that you use hemp and cauliflower in it. Looks delicious

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles June 12, 2012 at 12:54 pm

How wonderful of your aunt to accomodate you so well. And her name is close to my heart :) This slaw looks so summery, I bet the bite from the mustard makes it nice and refreshing. Thanks for sharing!

Zoe @ lose weight and gain health June 12, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I made a version of this slaw today using broccoli, raw grated kohlrabi and carrot with raisins and sunflower seed sprouts. I changed the dressing slightly too, as I had to use the ingredients I had. It was fantastic and I can’t wait to make it again :-)

robyn June 12, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I love all your recipes(have tried many!!), and this one is right up there in awesome saladness(great dressing-love the curry)

Fiona June 15, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Just made this for lunch and it’s awesome! I added some lentils and next time I would probably make 1.5 times the dressing, but I will def be repeating this! Thank you!

Stephanie July 21, 2012 at 12:16 am

This looks amazing! I like the comment from Fiona about adding lentils, too, could make for a nice complete lunch. I’m not vegan anymore but used to be and you’re so right, people fear it without giving it a try.