Refreshing Green Juice Recipe: Cucumber, Mint, and Pear Juice

by Gena on December 17, 2012

cucumber mint pear juice

Now that finals are over, I can give my body a little TLC. As you all know, I unapologetically enjoy coffee—usually in the morning, not usually more than a cup—but challenging academic times often mean a lot more java than I want or need, not to mention minimal sleep and no time at all to relax. In general, I try to go with the flow and not give myself too much grief for these things. I’m hard enough on myself without nursing feelings of guilt about my habits during finals—this little perfectionist doesn’t need that added layer of critical self-assessment! Whatever it takes to survive the week, I say. But when exams end, I do try hard to treat my body with special care. Oftentimes, I’ll try to scrounge up a Groupon for a massage, do a lot of yoga, or cook a few noteworthy meals. Or I’ll make a few delicious, hydrating, and rejuvenating green juices. This cucumber, mint, and pear juice is a perfect example.

I have a special fondness for cucumber juice. It’s so extraordinarily hydrating, and the mellow flavor really appeals to me (as opposed to celery juice, which I can only drink in moderation). I love dark leafy greens in my juice, but I need to cut it with a lot of other vegetables, and cucumbers are ideal for that. Plus, one cucumber yields a lot of juice (an important consideration, given that juicing can be a pricey habit).

In this juice, cucumber meets fresh mint and sweet pear for a perfectly refreshing blend. There’s spinach in the juice too, along with a touch of lemon. It is a simple, easygoing, and delicious green juice, and I can tell you that it was the perfect end to a long, tiring week.

Refreshing Green Juice with Cucumber, Mint, and Pear

Serves 2

2 cucumbers
1/4 lemon, skin cut off
1 pear
1 handful fresh mint
1 heaping cup spinach

Run all ingredients through a juicer. Serve with fresh lemon or an extra sprig of mint for garnish!

Definitely one of the best green juices I’ve had in a while. Fresh fruit and vegetable juice always feels like a gift I’ve given myself—something I take time and care to do because I know I’ll be enlivened after drinking. It’s not a habit I can always make time for, but whenever I can, it’s a habit worth treasuring.

Since I’m always asked, I use a Breville Juice Fountain Plus for all of my home juicing. Not the fanciest model, but it works beautifully and has stood the test of time.

And now, it’s time to start catching up with friends. Till tomorrow!

Ashley December 17, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Way to go on making it through finals!! I’ve been on a juicing kick lately and this sounds like a delicious change of pace. I can’t really handle too many leafy greens in my juice either. I haven’t added pear before, which sounds so good!

Nina December 23, 2012 at 10:58 am

This may not work for other but I find that putting greens in a tight bundle – like spinach or cilantro – and then adding juicy fruit like pineapple or orange or cucumbers that push the greens down into the blade helps the greens move through and get used efficiently. Have no idea if it will work for other juicers.

Hannah December 17, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Remember: there’s always a room for you here. xo

Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian December 17, 2012 at 8:30 pm

It’s always recipes that sound this delicious and healthy that make me want to go out and buy a juicer right away. In fact, I might! Drinking green juices has always seemed like such a healthy and fun way to get in some good vitamins!

Jade December 17, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Delicious combination….only thing I’d wonder is, are you worried about the oxalate content in all the spinach?

Gena December 17, 2012 at 11:00 pm

You know, Jade, I typically don’t; I eat both raw and cooked spinach in a healthy balance, along with a ton of other greens, so I don’t think the occasional spinach juice or salad is a problem

best prices for prescription glasses December 17, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Good combination of fruits and veges. :)

Danielle December 17, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I love your ideas for self-care after exams… I hear you on lots of yoga at the end of a busy semester! Thinking a massage would be fantastic too… Oh the life of a student!

Sana December 18, 2012 at 12:01 am

I just started juicing- I can’t wait to make this!

Marissa December 18, 2012 at 12:02 am

I love mint in juices. I feel that it is one of the more underrated juicing ingredients. I like your recipe here. I’d like to try it with a small knob of ginger!

Rachael December 18, 2012 at 1:01 am

I finally got my juicer three days ago and have experimenting a little every day. This combination looks especially tasty! I can’t wait to give it a try.

Lia @ Sojourning December 18, 2012 at 9:16 am

Green juices just make you feel vibrant don’t they? I love getting them in when I have the time too. The yoga studio I’ve been going to here in CT has a great juice bars, which I have been enjoying after class. I have a little juicer at home that doesn’t seem to take well to pears :(. It’s a shame because I love all things pear. When I actually buy my own juicer, I’ll get a better model. Thanks for sharing a yummy sounding recipe of green goodness!

the delicate place December 18, 2012 at 9:37 am

i’m a big fan of cuke juice myself, i use half of one in my daily green juice. buying myself a juicer in January was one of the nicest things i have done for myself. i consistently used it ~5-6x weekly. one of my fave energizing juices is a mix of pineapple, mint, celery & cucumber. it’s so bright and refreshing!

jodye @ chocolate and chou fleur December 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Cucumber and pear is such a refreshing combination. This juice seems like a wonderful way to start a day!

Kim December 18, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Sounds tasty and refreshing!

Sarah @ Kids Heart Real Food December 18, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Gena, this looks amazing. I can barely find the time to juice these days either, as I’m trying to feed a baby as well as myself and usually get out the door with a reasonable amount of time. However, the deliciousness that is reflected in your photos has inspired me to wake up a little earlier tomorrow to make this – especially since I have all the ingredients in my fridge!

Congrats on finishing finals, and enjoy your holidays!

Stephen@HappyHeart December 20, 2012 at 8:32 am

This will be just what’s needed the morning after a day of possible over indulgence on Christmas! Sounds deliciously fresh with the cucumber and pear combo!

Lw December 20, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Getting a juicer for Xmas. I cannot wait to try cucumber in juices. I am
planning to avoid the sweeter fruits for a while bc my messed-up skin will break out in hives if I overdo it, but my first will be: spinach, cucumber, lemon, granny smith. I ordered this combo while on a trip to NYC recently and I loved it. I will also be using your recipe template for juice pulp crackers. I have an Excalibur 4-tray which I use often for kale chips. I can juice before work, put the crackers in, and come home to an after-work snack. I do leave my dehydrator on all day… eh, maybe bad…

Tracy January 29, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I just started juicing and this is my favorite recipe by far. It’s absolutely delicious and I feel so good after drinking it. Thank you!

Richard March 10, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I love your blog;thank you very much for the wonderful information.