Seven Days of Super Bowl, and Three Layer Dip

by Gena on February 1, 2011

IMG_4710 (500x333)

Love the response to my pizza recipe and tutorial! It was a lot of text, I know, but I hope I was able to convey the ease of pizza making in spite of that. Homemade crust is so much more worthy than store-bought, and kneading can double as stress relief therapy. Seriously. Please make some vegan pizza soon, and then come talk to me about it.

What you may not have realized yesterday as you salivated over my artichoke, red onion, and sundried tomato pie was that it was the first in a series of recipes dedicated to Sunday’s big game. That’s right, my friends. This is officially Super Bowl week at Choosing Raw. Yesterday was Day 1, and today the fun continues with a three-layer dip I think you’ll love!

If I asked you to guess whether or not I’ve always been a football lover, would you guess (a) absolutely, Gena, you seem like a hardcore sports fanatic, or (b) to be honest, it came as a surprise to me, but I’ve just been going along with it, I’m guessing most of you would choose (b). And you’d be right. I did not grow up a sports fan, and it wasn’t until Chloe and her Dad introduced me to all things Yankees that I really tasted the exhilaration that comes from rooting for a great team (a few Bostonians just took me off Google reader, didn’t they?). My love of the baseball didn’t begin in childhood, and it wasn’t passed down from parent to child (Hamshaws all root for the Red Sox). It didn’t come from any natural ability in sports, because lord knows, I haven’t got any of that. It came from the fact that my best friend and her father loved the game and loved the team, and I, out of solidarity, learned to love them, too.

Do I enjoy the Yankees any less because I became a fan by proxy? No, not really. I’d actually say it works the opposite way: my loyalty is amplified by the fact that I associate the team with people I love. And so too with the Packers. M is a big fan, and this year, out of solidarity (and curiosity), I’ve become a big fan as well. Do I understand most of what goes on in an average game? No. Do I have poignant and patriotic childhood football memories? No. Does it matter? Not at all. It’s fun to be rooting for Green Bay this week, and even more fun to be planning some delicious vegan eats for Sunday.

The following dip is the kind of thing I love to serve to party guests because it’s so sneaky: it’s 2/3 raw and all vegan, but it’s composed of familiar components, so everyone gets really excited about it before they realize that they’re eating a plant-based, cruelty free appetizer. It’s a win for everyone’s taste buds, and it’s a win for veganism. One can only hope these wins are met by on-screen victories, too.

Three Layer Super Bowl Dip (Semi-raw, vegan, gluten free and soy free)

Serves 6

To assemble the dip, you’ll need the following 3 components:

IMG_4475 (500x333)

Gena’s Famous Black Bean and Red Pepper Dip (Vegan, gluten free, and soy free)

Serves 4-6

I call this “famous” only because I make it constantly and use it in various recipes–a version of it goes in my polenta stacks, and I stuff it into collard wraps all the time. Everyone who tastes it likes it as much as I do, and it’s so simple to make!

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped, or about 2/3 cup roasted red peppers (jarred is fine, if that’s what you have)
4 sundried tomatoes, pre-soaked and drained, OR oil packed and drained
1/2 clove garlic, finely minced (optional)
3/4 tsp cumin
1/4-1/2 tsp salt (use 1/4 if the canned beans are salted; 1/2 if they’re unsalted)
2 tbsp lime juice
Black pepper to taste
Water

1) Empty beans into a food processor and process till thick and broken down.

2) Add the peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, lime juice, cumin, salt, and pepper, and pulse until the mix looks like refried beans. If it needs thinning, add a little water.

3) Serve!

2 batches of My Favorite Guacamole

Mango-Jicama Salsa (Raw, vegan, gluten free and soy free)

Serves 4-6

I’m not a fan of mangoes, and this recipe is 100% un-seasonal. But it’s the tastiest way I’ve found to eat a fruit I don’t like very much, and it’s a wonderful alternative to regular salsa.

2 ripe mangoes, diced small
1 medium beefsteak tomato, diced small
1 large jicama, peeled and diced small
1/2 red onion, finely minced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/4-1/3 cup lime juice (I like my food tart, so I err on the generous side)
1 tbsp agave nectar
1 tsp sea salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Toss all ingredients together, and let marinate for at least one hour in the fridge before serving.

To assemble, simply layer your components. I halved the recipe, knowing I’d be the sole recipient of this foodie offering, and used a glass storage container that was about 5 1/2 inches in diameter, so if you make this for company, I’d suggest making the whole recipe and using a glass dish that’s about 6×8 inches, or 48 inches squared in area. <————– Look, I’m learning math!

Begin with a thick layer of the bean dip, then a layer of the guac, and top with salsa. If you suspect one layer may get too thick, set aside some of it for later (I have some leftover bean dip now).

IMG_4710 (500x333)

Heaven!

IMG_4715 (500x333)

This is perfect with some corn chips:

IMG_4716 (500x333)

And you’ll notice that the top two layers are yellow and green.

IMG_4723 (500x333)

Coincidence? I think not.

I actually recommend making this in a container that’s transportable, because it makes it so easy to pack up and bring to parties. See?

IMG_4724 (500x333)

This isn’t a recipe you’ll want to have sitting around, as it’ll get goopy and the guac will start to go brown, so do try to eat it right away.

For more plant-based Super Bowl eats, please check back throughout the week! And also go over to Wendy’s blog, where the lady herself will be having a week long Super Bowl festival.

Sporty readers: what are your favorite things to eat as a sports spectator? And how did you become a sports fan in the first place?

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 1, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Ahhh I absolutely love dips!! And the Super Bowl:) Black and yellow, black and yellow!

I became a sports fan when my serious boyfriend last year was really into his athletics. Watching hockey is my favorite! :)

ashley@quasichick February 1, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I love layered dips, they are so pretty and all the flavor contrasts are so yummy!!!

Christin@purplebirdblog February 1, 2011 at 10:08 pm

This 3 layer dip sounds so much better than any 7 layer dip I’ve had, and I used to love that stuff! :)

VeggieGirl February 1, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Lovin’ the layers!

Not a sports fan, although I PLAYED a lot of sports when I was younger.

Jeanette February 1, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Loving all these healthier Super Bowl snack options!

Katie February 2, 2011 at 12:03 am

I LOOOOVE to eat nachos while watching football. Anything mexican, really.

I grew up in WI in a huge football playing and loving family. I’m a lifelong fan and I’ve been to too many games to count. I am SO excited for Sunday!!!!

Gina February 2, 2011 at 12:47 am

My family are huge football fans, so growing up around that has made me a fan. (I think I’m the only one who enjoys it out of all of the students attending fashion school)
I love dips! Great football party food! I definitely want some of this dip in my belly this Sunday!

Casey February 2, 2011 at 1:21 am

I think I am yet to make a layered dip! I will have to rectify that pronto.

Anything with beans and guac and I’m there! I can imagine the mango would be such a great flavour addition to this.

hihorosie February 2, 2011 at 2:00 am

ooh yummy! I love bean dips and guac and salsa. This is right up my super bowl alley! ;)

ainslie February 2, 2011 at 2:27 am

YUM. Smooshy black beans & guac is one of my favourite combos, I’m just trying to figure out how to work some sweet potato into this too…maybe just a layer of mash in there somewhere?!

As for sports, I’ve been watching hockey basically since birth; I used to compulsively/nervously devour carrot sticks and cashews during Canucks games in lieu of anxious cigarettes! And sometimes I get up waaaaaaaaaay too early to watch European football on tv, which means I snack on breakfast & coffee, ha.

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA February 2, 2011 at 4:52 am

That looks great! I always love chili while tailgating.

I became a football fan when my brother played in middle school and high school — I went to every single one of his games! Then when I went to college I had a friend who played on the IU team and I went to all those games. My friend got drafted into the NFL this year so it’s official, I love football at all levels. =)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 2, 2011 at 5:30 am

You being a sports fan
You eating mango (I know you don’t gravitate towards that many fruits)
You using onions frequently lately in your recipes
These are all new things…very cool to see this other/new side of you, Gena!

The Mango-Jicama Salsa itself looks delish!
And the 3 layer dip…oh that looks awesome! I was actaully wanting to make a dip today, sort of in honor of the superbowl. And I did use a can of beans and nooch, but went with a baked casserole type thing, not a dip.

I really think this dip is going to be in my future, soon :)

Jaclyn February 2, 2011 at 5:46 am

First of all, these recipes all look totally delicious! I would love to try the mango-jicama salsa, but my hubby hates mango… hmmm… actually, maybe I will make it. More for me!

I know what you mean about becoming a sports fan by proxy. I was a casual hockey fan growing up, enough to follow my favorite team (the New Jersey Devils – my hometown minor league team was their farm team at the time) in the paper and be happy when they won, but didn’t much care beyond that. I went to a collage with a major hockey program and got pretty into cheering for my school’s team. But when I met my husband, he was (and remains) a rabid Buffalo Sabres fan. After about a year of watching games out of the corner of my eye while doing something else, I started getting really interested in the team and before I knew it, I was just as enthusiastic a Sabres fan as my hubby (sorry, Marty Brodeur – Ryan Miller has my heart now). I also have a mind for trivia so I was able to commit to memory a lot of little details about the game and the players. I’d love the team anyway, but it certainly helps that my father-in-law now thinks I am the awesomest daughter-in-law a guy could ever want. I’m still not a football fan and while I like the Yankees, I don’t have the patience for a baseball game. I’m a one-sport girl, but I don’t know how I ever lived without hockey in my life!

Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen) February 2, 2011 at 6:32 am

Gena-Thank you so very much for the shout out! It seems that female vegan pro football fans are shockingly rare! I’m so excited to see all of your ideas for your Super Bowl Party. And this dip! Gorgeous!!!
xoxoxoxox, Wendy

Allison February 2, 2011 at 6:40 am

I love sports especially baseball and football!! (go phils and eagles!!) Playing and watching:) Unfortunately i managed to find an awesome guy that hates watching sports:( But with all these delicious treats maybe ill be able to wrangle him into watching the game with me:)

JL goes Vegan February 2, 2011 at 7:45 am

Since The Bears didn’t make it (I lived in Chicago for 12 years and my allegiance remains there, not to my new home teams in NYC) I will watch the game for the commercials ;) My (omni) husband and I have given ourselves a challenge to veganize some traditional game day eats. I think I’ll be making this dip!

Eliz@The Sweet Life February 2, 2011 at 8:34 am

I’ve always found the food part of watching sports to be the best so thanks for another great incentive to watch!

Amanda Boldreghini February 2, 2011 at 9:21 am

Thanks for a super healthy twist on the 7 layer dip that’s so not good for you :)

melissa February 2, 2011 at 10:02 am

black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow ;) i hope the steelers win but i also hope my new place doesn’t get damaged from happy rioting! i’m almost moved in!

Jen February 2, 2011 at 10:10 am

YUM! I love mangoes and this look amazing.

I wondered why you liked the Packers. I live in WI, and although I’m happy for the Packers going to the Superbowl, I’m pretty excited to not have to hear “Go Pack Go” everywhere I go. (I’m not originally from WI, so don’t share the same enthusiasm as the natives)The radio stations her have turned all the songs into Packers songs. For example, “Like a G6″ is “Like a Cheesehead” and the entire song has been changed into a song about the Packers going to the Superbowl.

I became a football fan when I was a kid. My family always made special Sunday football snacks (totally not vegan…) and we would also each get to choose who we thought was going to win all the games for the week. We didn’t win anything, but it was fun to do. I became a college football fanatic after I started college. I went to the University of Iowa and am a HUGE Iowa Hawkeye fan. (hence the e-mail/twitter name hawkjen) Now that I’m vegan we usually make hummus/salsa/guac with chips. I’ve made some Gardein meatless wings before as well. This recipe is bookmarked and I will definitely be making it come next football season. Go Hawks! And for now, Go Pack Go. ;)

Alex @ Healing Beauty February 2, 2011 at 11:16 am

Looks absolutely delicious! I’m not so much a sports fan (except I love tennis and basketball can be fun), but I do enjoy the food :) Dips are the best! I always go straight for veggies and dip!

Abigail @ Good to Think and Eat February 2, 2011 at 11:31 am

YUM!

I’ve actually posted this as my gchat status in the hopes that some distant football-loving friend will invite me to a super bowl party so I can whip up this marvelous dip concoction.

Unfortunately none of my friends watch football, and weirdly most of us don’t even have tvs. I wonder how hard it would be to sneak this dip into a bar?

Or I guess I could just make it for another event. Like an impromptu groundhog day soiree?

Eva Rawposa February 2, 2011 at 11:47 am

I just love to eat chips and guac, so this recipe hits home!! Truth be told, I was more of a fan of playing sports than being a spectator… until college. Get me a good Gators game, and I’ll yell like crazy! :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 2, 2011 at 11:48 am

Hi pretty lady!

I will probably join in some manner of Superbowl festivities this weekend, but unlike you I just can’t get myself to care about the game. I’m 100% in it for the food and the company, and I don’t care who knows it.

I’ve enjoyed catching up on your last few posts–despite your schedule you have been a beast in the kitchen! You have this pizza lover almost (almost!) considering making her own pizza crust (that is not just a tortilla, that is…). We’ll just see about that.

Thinking of you, miss you, love you! xo

elise February 2, 2011 at 11:59 am

i dont know how i became a sport fan because, well, ive always been one…
i played almost every sport possible growing up.
i went to every cal football and basketball game with my parents (my first was the historically famous cal-stanford “the play” when i was one month old). my parents often tell the story about how i made them miss the ucla-cal football game when i was born. then, after being raised a cal fan my entire life, i chose ucla over cal. “irony over destiny” is a phrase oft heard in the dieden household, haha.
anyway, kyle went to HS with aaron rodgers so i feel like im a part of the packers by proxy.

Katie (quickcookrice) February 2, 2011 at 1:20 pm

As a lifelong Red Sox fan who married a Yankees fan (sorry again, dad), certain things can be forgiven! And this recipe looks like it could help ease even the worst sports rivalries. Can’t wait to try it!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 2, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I love that dip.. so delicious. It’s the best thing ever to give people flat out yummy food that is so good they won’t have a clue it’s good for them!

Katie February 2, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Cheesehead! Oh, wait…well, cashew cheesehead, anyway… ;)

kiwi girl in Germany February 2, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Guac and chips always, however any dip always goes down well.
Being a New Zealander, I grew up with rugby and now living in soccer-mad Germany have discovered that my family and i are really passionate about our national sport because we will go to great lengths to watch the famous All Blacks.

Rachael February 2, 2011 at 3:40 pm

It’s fun to see the words super bowl and quasi-raw vegan dip in the same post- always good to break down stereotypes, methinks.
Growing up in NY, I always felt like I should be more fanatical about the Yankees (or Mets, or Jets..) but I’ve never been one for team allegiance, though I’m usually game to watch.

Christine (The Raw Project) February 2, 2011 at 5:41 pm

This looks like an amazing dip and I can already tell will be a hit at our Superbowl gathering this year. Your raw burgers were a hit at last year’s party. :-)

Hannah February 2, 2011 at 9:12 pm

As a completel non-sports fan (except for gymnastics, horse events, and diving at the Olympics), I don’t think I contribute much to this discussion! So I’ll simply say that I might have to make this on weekend and deliver half to my dad who will be watching the Superbowl on his own (It’s not really a big deal here in Australia :P)

Sara @ Saucy Dipper February 3, 2011 at 12:31 pm

These dips all look so good to me. I’d eat any one of them.
Mentioned you on my dip blog today. Thanks for the inspiration!

Willie February 3, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I see your Packers-themed three layer dip and raise you a week’s worth of black and gold Steelers-themed vegan dishes: http://goo.gl/64TWE

Willie February 3, 2011 at 3:33 pm

(Although I will admit, your dip looks absolutely delicious. Nice job!)

Melissa @ Vegan CacaoBee February 3, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Hummus + guacamole with red pepper strips = my favorite sports spectator snack

Shawna February 5, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I thought you HATE onions?? I can’t stand raw onions so I appreciate your onion-free recipes. Are they inoffensive in this salsa? Give me the scoop (hehe get it?)