Strawberry Ginger Chia Pudding

by Gena on January 3, 2012

IMG_9772 (520x347)

If you checked out my new recipe tab yesterday, then you probably noticed that I’ve kept my ch-ch-ch-chia tab, which is a recipe tab devoted entirely to chia seed puddings—one of my quickest, easiest, and most beloved breakfasts. This week, I decided to make my first chia pudding of the year a new recipe. Strawberry and ginger may sound like an odd combo together, but it’s actually one of my favorites: I often add a small bit of ginger to my strawberry banana smoothies. And so does my friend Lauren! (Check out her left sidebar.)

This pudding uses just enough ginger to add unexpected flavor to the chia pudding, but certainly not enough to overpower or add heat. And if you’re feeling dubious about my sometimes odd combinations of flavors or food, just remember that everyone who has tried my chocolate avocado breakfast salad has liked it. And same with my banana lettuce sushi! I’m not totally crazy, I swear.

IMG_9780 (520x347)

Strawberry Ginger Chia Pudding (raw, vegan, gluten free, soy free)

Makes 2-3 servings

7 tbsp chia seeds
1 cup frozen or regular strawberries
1 3/4 cups almond milk (or any homemade nut milk of choice)
3/4 tsp ginger powder (less if you dislike the taste; you can also omit or replace with cinnamon!)
2 pitted dates OR 1 tbsp agave or maple syrup OR stevia to taste

Blend the strawberries, milk, ginger, and sweetener together on high till smooth. You should have about 2 1/4 cups liquid. Pour this amount (not more: if you have more than 2 1/4 cups, just sip the extra, and if you end up with less, add a little almond milk to the mix) over the chia seeds, and stir every couple of minutes. Let sit for a few hours or overnight: the chia will soak up the liquid and take on a perfect pudding texture.

IMG_9774 (520x347)

IMG_9783 (520x347)

IMG_9769 (520x347)

A pretty breakfast, no? And also high in calcium, protein, and essential fatty acids. I recommend serving it with a ripe banana and some chopped strawberries. If you’re on a higher protein kick, feel free to add some hemp or rice or pea protein to the mix!

And since you all expressed such interest in my salads yesterday, I thought I’d share last night’s: cherry tomatoes, raw broccoli, zucchini, romaine, spinach, cabbage, peppers, chickpeas, a dash of flax oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, a touch of mustard, and bulgur wheat on top. I love bulgur because it cooks so quickly, and because it has a fantastic nutty taste and aroma!

salad

With that, I’m off. Sorry to everyone who got this post in Google reader—I originally hit “publish” by mistake, before it was done.

What chia puddings and salads are you guys making for the new year? Tell me all about it!

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine January 3, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Mmmm I love chia seeds, so I might have to try it in pudding form :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 3, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Chia pudding is my favorite breakfast post-workout. I’ve done it with banana, pears, and peaches (separately… but I bet it would be good together!). I like to heat the in the winter – 20 secs in the microwave and it tastes like a cobbler!

Side note: I made a lentil loaf based on your sweet potato version. Mine’s posted today (with credit to you). Thanks for the inspiration – it was incredible!

laura January 3, 2012 at 3:46 pm

My favorite chia pudding is a blended one with pumpkin, ginger and molasses. But I also love vanilla/cardamom and sliced strawberries and my new fave, chia nog pudding! It’s great both blended and shaken. It’s great with my own cashew nog or So Delicious Coconut nog. It’s just plain great.

So where are you posting from these days? Back in DC yet or are you in NYC still?

Gena January 4, 2012 at 10:20 am

NYC for a few more days.

Magda @ No Food Diet January 3, 2012 at 3:51 pm

This looks divine! I so wish I could do chia puddings. Unfortunately, this much chia sends my tummy into an uproar. :(

Gena January 4, 2012 at 10:19 am

Oh dear! Try half seeds, half rolled oats.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 3, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Ok you just gave me a ridic craving for strawberries in the middle of winter. Not exactly seasonal but I think I need to pick some up because they look awesome!

Great job on the pudding and the red/blue contrast in the pics makes me want strawberries even more :)

Andrea January 4, 2012 at 11:15 am

I just used frozen blueberries – still good!

Hoshigaki January 3, 2012 at 4:05 pm

This year’s salads will be wonderful and different for one very important reason: they’ll be primarily portable! I’m going to start taking them to work.
I’ve never been one to take pre-prepared meals to work. I’d usually just piece together a meal with a bunch of components like raw veggies, then handfuls of nuts, then fruit. Something like that.
But now, I’m going to make pre-made salads and collard wraps for work. Emphasis will be on the hippie (and cheap) essentials: raw sunflower seeds, plump raisins, maple marinated Vermont tofu, pea sprouts and broccoli. Lots of kale and romaine for the (super) base.
I’m kind of into this Braggsberry dressing Braggs (http://www.bragg.com/products/bragg-organic-braggberry-salad-dressing.html) is making because I don’t like oil-based dressings. I wonder how I can replicate it.

Gena January 4, 2012 at 10:19 am

I’m a big fan of dressing challenges. I may add this to my list!! :)

Ali January 3, 2012 at 4:32 pm

My Love just told me how delicious your new pudding looks! I think I will be whipping up a batch for him soon! I think it is funny how you still eat your salads off of a plate. They are so large, there is no way that I would not be able to make a huge mess with that salad if it was not in a bowl…

Gena January 4, 2012 at 10:19 am

I am so glad he likes the sounds of it!!

Hannah January 3, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I am so annoyed at myself – I bought chia seeds to use in my dorm, but of course didn’t end up using them – only to leave them in the dorm and now I’m at home four hours away! I’m too cheap to buy more so I’m going to have to wait ;-)

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles January 3, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I’ve been neglecting chia pudding recently. Thanks for the reminder, I love ginger and can’t wait to give this one a go!

Julia January 3, 2012 at 6:26 pm

This Chia pudding looks awesome! and salads are always wonderful. I’m really into your asian dressing with cucumber “noodles” these days. I’ve had that 3 days in a row!

anastasia@healthymamainfo.com January 3, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Haven’t made pudding in ages. Thanks for reminding!

FoodFeud January 3, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Oh I think ginger and strawberry is a wonderful combination but then again I love ginger and think it goes with everything. I even just chopped some fresh onto my salad with raw garlic kraut!
I’ve actually just started appreciating chia puddings. I wasn’t a fan of the goopy texture at first but I’m coming around and your delicious flavors help! Thanks.

Ashley January 3, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Just made some pumpkin chai chia pudding today! Love the flavor combo you just created!

Ricki January 3, 2012 at 11:33 pm

To me, strawberry + ginger sounds like a perfect combination, not strange at all! I’ll often throw a little ginger in my morning smoothie that contains strawberries (or other berries). Your pudding looks gloriously good. :)

Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry January 4, 2012 at 12:01 am

I agree with Ricki-strawberries and ginger sound like a fantastic combination to me. I love chia seeds so I will have to try out this pudding soon!

daphna January 4, 2012 at 2:02 am

This looks amazing! I just made an single-serving portion for my lunch tomorrow and added two handfuls of spinach for the extra greens. I’d love to see another green version of your chia pudding for people who are trying to eat more veggies, hehe.

Gena January 4, 2012 at 10:16 am

Great idea, Daphna!

Beth January 4, 2012 at 3:24 am

Sorry to ask a waaay awkward question. If you have time one day…. chia seeds are extremely expensive here (UK) and I am trying to work out how long they last so I can cost it out and justify the expense to our budget :) as I would love to try them…….So how much WEIGHT of chia seeds provides you with a typical breakfast pudding? That way I could cost how many breakfast puddings a bag could conceivably provide….I do realise that everyone has different appetite sizes, but it would provide an extremely useful estimate. Would you mind ever so much weighing 1T of chia for me? Cannot find the info online at all. Best wishes and thank you kindly.

Ela January 4, 2012 at 6:27 pm

1 tb chia seeds is 15g. They really do go a long way, and some people find that less is more with them too.

With some protein powder and some fresh and dried fruit, one tablespoon of chia in a pudding keeps me going all morning, but my appetite is _abnormally_ small–3-4 tablespoons might be a more reasonable amount. hope this helps!

denise January 4, 2012 at 4:54 am

thank you for this lovely recipe.
i have a questions – i had read that chia seeds need to be milled to get maximum benefit from them. is this true??

Gena January 4, 2012 at 10:16 am

I’m sure there’s some truth to there being more available nutrition from milling, but as far as I know, they are NOT like flax seeds in that they will not pass through the body undigested if you don’t mill them. So you can still get many of the nutrition benefits.

Hannah January 4, 2012 at 5:05 am

Ground ginger deserves to be in all things sweet :) In fact, I think I might try this with my home-made pain d’epice mix, because if ginger is delicious, why not use a mix of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, pepper, and fennel? ;) Thanks Gena!

Gena January 4, 2012 at 10:15 am

I, too, love ginger in just about ANYthing.

Sarah January 4, 2012 at 11:20 am

Loving the sound of this. I’m in a major breakfast rut- I keep relying too heavily on sugary soy yoghurts combined with sweetened cereals. I’ve considered trying green smoothies for breakfast but I prefer to chew my breakfasts rather than slurp them. Maybe a chia pudding is the perfect substitute to break the habit with? xx

McKella January 4, 2012 at 11:27 am

That’s an interesting combo, but I’m willing to give it a shot. I’ve never actually had chia pudding before, only chia in yogurt and smoothies.

Christine (The Raw Project) January 4, 2012 at 11:46 am

Looks wonderful, I would definitely try this pudding! I’ve been enjoying raw ginger in smoothies lately for an unexpected kick. I haven’t had any chia seed pudding yet this year, but I must change that!

Gloria January 4, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I believe we share the same love for ginger, Gena. I would have never thought to combine it with strawberries for breakfast though! 70% of my breakfasts are chia puddings – easy, delicious, filling, omega-3 heaven. My current fave is a carrot cake variety with finely shredded carrots, coconut flour, vanilla, ginger, and cinnamon. I top it with toasted walnuts and sprouted buckwheat. It’s crazy good. Your hemp/chia pudding is also a love of mine – I had it for breakfast!

Oh, and I am loving the daily salad shots – keep ‘em coming!

Kristen-vanillabeanvegan January 4, 2012 at 1:58 pm

MMM.. Love chia seeds, will have to make some this weekend!! I especially love it with cocao powder, will now have to try with strawberries and ginger!! Thanks, for the recipe

Nixie January 4, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I had this for breakfast and it is delicious!!! I topped mine with fresh organic bananas. Screw oatmeal, this is my new friend. :)

Ela January 4, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Oh, now you have me craving strawberries too! My favorite chia pudding variations lately have been an overnight soak in leftover homemade no-caff chai, add a splash of nut milk if I have it, some protein powder, some gojis, maybe some extra cardamom because I just love it so much. Strawberry-ginger sounds just right too, though!
love
Ela

Kittee Berns January 5, 2012 at 1:43 am

in my fridge, waiting for my belly. great combo, gena! <3

Laura C January 5, 2012 at 2:40 am

My current salad kick is a sweetgreen knock-off: mixed greens, white beans, baked sweet potato chunks, avocado, tomato, and jalapeno dressing. I haven’t made the jalapeno dressing yet but tackling that asap. I bought “bitchin sauce” at the farmers market in December and made a decent homemade version the other day, though: almonds, grapeseed oil, chipotle, nooch, garlic, salt, and a zucchini for good measure. Very excited about it! Other happy dinner kick: barley-edamame-pine nuts-apple butter. Starting the new year with a return to more home cooking and very happy about it!

Alexia @ NamasteYoga January 5, 2012 at 6:26 am

i have been falling in love with chia puddings for breakfast lately. my greatest addiction is a mashed and diced pear, almond milk, chia seeds, raisins, cinnamon and maca. so tasty! you gotta try it!

bitt January 5, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I like a little ginger here and there and a good idea for a warming breakfast is to add ginger. I love my chia puddings for breakfast as does the husband. I have been adding a little bit of raw coconut crystals. It’s my favorite sweetener lately. Less of a sticky mess than other things.

Read your yoga post but couldn’t comment, too depressed I can’t do it anymore. So happy for you though.

Still halfway through the henhouse podcast…..so far so good!

Stephanie January 5, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I hadn’t made chia pudding in so long, but your post inspired me. I didn’t have the stuff for this combo so I came up with a raspberry lavender chia combo that was pretty amazing. I also dropped 3 clementine sections and lime zest into the blender. So so good! Thank you for the inspiration to whip up something with chia! This is my new go to breakfast!

Nada (One Arab Vegan) January 6, 2012 at 4:03 am

I love ginger but I’m usually dubious of adding it to dishes for fear it might overpower as you said. What are your thoughts on using fresh ginger in this? A gorgeous pudding either way!

Jill Z January 9, 2012 at 12:38 pm

i bought two lbs of strawberries at Trader Joe’s that were about to go bad in a day or two, so this was an awesome way to use them! My husband and i loved our chia breakfast today, with blended strawberries and fresh bananas. Thanks Gena!

Anonymous March 13, 2012 at 11:33 am

I love ginger in pretty much anything – never thought of putting ginger powder along with strawberries. Sounds delicious!

Elaine – http://www.getrawcous.com

Heather July 3, 2012 at 6:08 pm

This looks amazing! I am new to chia (bought some today & googled “chia pudding”. That’s how I found your blog!) and just attempted my first pudding. It’s actually your Overnight Superfood Bowl with Chia Seeds & Quinoa, only I used oats & chocolate almond milk. I am so excited to have found your blog! Thank you for easy to follow recipes with regular ingredients that can be found in my fridge or pantry!

I am pinning this strawberry ginger one for future breakfasts! :)

Heather Williams January 7, 2013 at 5:48 pm

What a delicious concoction! I’ve been trying to incorporate chia seeds into my diet, and could never imagine a more declicious way to do this. Keep up the great work.

Genevieve September 18, 2013 at 3:11 pm

i’m a newbie to the raw food world so forgive me…can you use grounded chia seeds for this? Please say yes as I just spent a fortune on raw goodies at Whole Foods!:)