Vegan Lunch: Sweet Potato and Chives on Avocado Toast

by Gena on June 21, 2013

In this week’s vegan lunch column for Food52, I’m extolling the virtues and variety of avocado toast. When it comes to this simple, stress-free, and comforting lunchtime (or anytime) staple, there is no end of possibility. Some of my favorite varieties include:

• Heirloom tomato & sprouts
  • Coarse sea salt and cracked black pepper
  • Fresh microgreens and thinly shaved radishes
  • Chili flakes and a dusting of smoked paprika
  • Mango and black beans

Basically, you could put anything on avo toast and I’d happily eat it, but this time around I wanted to use some of the produce I’ve been finding at the farmers’ market this month: sweet potatoes, chives, and spicy arugula. I peeled, cubed, and steamed the sweet potato before tossing it with a little olive oil, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and a generous handful of chopped chives. After smooshing half a fresh avocado onto two slices of toast, I piled on the sweet potato mixture and a little arugula. Extra arugula (topped with leftover balsamic vinaigrette) went on the side. This super simple plate had it all: sweet, salty, crunchy, spicy, and even a hint of tartness from lemon and vinegar.

Next time, I’ll remember a sprinkle of nutritional yeast. Because that just sounds like heaven.

I’m excited to jazz up my avo toast with all sorts of summer produce combinations, and to share them with you, of course! Happy weekend, one and all.

Ali June 21, 2013 at 8:33 pm

That does look really really good. Perhaps we will never tire of the “butter on toast” comfort :)

Jenni June 22, 2013 at 12:10 am

Why do even the most basic things you create look so incredible? I can’t wait to put avocado and sweet potato together now. By the way, I wrote about you in my most recent post! :)

Ali June 22, 2013 at 2:09 am

Well I must confess this and the Food 52 article are making me feel just a little petulant (not my normal state) about my toast less workplace. Maybe it’s time for me to hide a gluten free bread only toaster underneath my desk?

Gena June 27, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I am sure that stranger things have been stashed under work desks. Do it!

thelittleloaf June 22, 2013 at 2:56 am

This is the kind of lunch I love. I make my own bread too to make sure I know no nasties are going in there!

Laura June 22, 2013 at 7:44 am

Oh my gosh, I love avocado toast! It’s such a comfort food, especially after a long day when I have no energy to make something fancy. I often serve it next to arugula too, and usually just top it with nooch and chalupa chile garlic sauce (weird, I don’t know what possessed me to try that). But now I’m going to experiment with other options. Arugula/walnut pesto? I’m hungry.

Hannah June 22, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Avocado and roasted kohlrabi and chilli-roasted pumpkin seeds.

Eat Me Raw June 24, 2013 at 4:03 am

Love your recipes!! I have also a Raw Vegan Blog! If you wanna check it out…
carlotaeatmeraw.blogspot.com.es

Michelle @ Michelle's tiny kitchen June 24, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I love avocado toast! My favorite is topped with shredded nori, sesame seeds and hot sauce–I literally could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.